Nine people have died in India from drinking alcohol-based hand sanitiser after liquor shops in their town were closed due to virus restrictions, police said Friday.
The group lost consciousness after consuming a “high quantity” of hand sanitiser mixed with water or soda, Siddharth Kaushal, police superintendent for Kurichedu town in Andhra Pradesh state told Media (known to Noble Reporters Media).
They were rushed to hospital but declared dead on arrival, he said.
The group turned to hand sanitiser “as a substitute” for liquor after supplies were cut off when authorities ordered a lockdown of the town to combat the coronavirus, he added.
An investigation into the nine deaths has been launched, he said.
Hundreds of poor people die every year in India due to alcohol poisoning, mostly from consuming cheap hooch.
Bootleggers often add methanol — a highly toxic form of alcohol sometimes used as an anti-freeze or fuel — to their home-brew liquor to increase the alcoholic content.
The deaths in Kurichedu occurred shortly before India’s coronavirus death toll passed 35,000 on Friday, overtaking that of Italy.
Total infections in the world’s second-most populous country are now 1.63 million, surpassed only by the US and Brazil, both of which have much smaller populations.
- All is fair in UCL defeat but Hazard gets injury yet again
- David Silva bids farewell after Madrid’s clash
- Zidane lost his first UcL tie
- Not juve, Ronaldo knocked out of UCL by Lyon Once again
- Final score: Mancity 2-1 Madrid (4-2 Agg) City knocks Madrid out of UCL
- Final score: Juventus 2-1 Lyon (agg 2-2) juve knocked out of UCL
- Just in: Buhari celebrate labour minister, Ngige as he clocks 68
- Nigeria’s first lady, Aisha Buhari moves to UAE for medical treatment
- Update: Kaduna court fixes Sept 29 to quash case against El-Zakzaky
- EdoDecide’20: US mission baffles over “political climate’ ahead election