Luis Suarez, Martin Braithwaite and Samuel Umtiti could be part of a 12-man firesale at Barcelona, according to reports in Spain.
The Catalan giants are looking to add at least three names to their squad this summer – namely a left-footed centre-back, a physical midfielder and a forward – after resolving the transfer saga involving Lionel Messi last month.
But the club acknowledge they must address their overly-inflated wage bill and Mundo Deportivo claim 12 players are yet to clarify their future with the club.
Forward Suarez appeared set for a move to Juventus, with just a medical and bonuses to sort out, but the report claims Atletico Madrid have arrived on the scene and the Uruguayan’s openness to staying in Spain has changed the scenario.
If and when the 33-year-old departs, Barcelona will be left with controversial January signing Martin Braithwaite as their only natural central striker.
But the Spanish outlet claims new boss Ronald Koeman is not totally convinced by the Dane and would like time to cast his eye over him, despite admiring his professionalism.
The 29-year-old’s agent has reportedly offered his client around in the transfer market but has not received any interest for the Denmark international.
Arturo Vidal could also be among the first to leave the club alongside Suarez, but the report admits the current financial slump is holding up his move to Inter Milan.
Centre-back Samuel Umtiti is also a player who Barcelona would like to sell, and although the France international initially refused to leave the Camp Nou he has been told by Koeman that his future lies elsewhere, with former club Lyon best placed to sign him.
Fellow Frenchman Jean-Clair Todibo’s future also lies away from the club, who are demanding a £23million (€25m) fee for him amid Premier League interest from Everton and Leicester City.
Despite making him unavailable for transfer earlier in the summer, Nelson Semedo could also depart the Camp Nou if an offer that is impossible to reject arrives, with the club already seeking to strengthen in wide areas.
Rafinha Alcantara spent some of last season on loan at Celta Vigo, but with the Spanish side unable to make the move permanent due to his £15million (€16m) release clause, he has returned to the Camp Nou.
Koeman is reportedly happy with his performances, but Barcelona’s desperation to sell this summer may yet see him depart if a suitable offer arrives.
The list of potential departures is completed by left-backs Junior Firpo and Miranda, as well as youngsters Moussa Wague, Barcelona B central midfielder Monchu and defensive midfielder Oriol Busquets, with Watford said to be considering a loan with an option to buy for the latter.
The new Dutch head coach admitted the 4-2-3-1 formation played on Saturday night is slightly more defensive, but insists “this team can do it”. “We’re happy,” Koeman said after the 3-1 win over Nàstic.
New Barcelona boss, Ronald Koeman, spoke on Barça TV after his first game in charge of the Catalan club. Barça defeated Nàstic 3-1 in a friendly held before they open their La Liga campaign.
“The most important thing is that fortunately there have been no injuries. Everyone has played 45 minutes. There were moments of good intensity. There are always things to improve on but we’re happy. We have been here for two weeks and we have two more to go.”
New system Regarding the system and positioning, with the double pivot, Koeman said: “It may be different and somewhat more defensive than what has been seen in recent years, but the objective is to move the ball, hold on to it and find the spaces to play between the lines, and behind rival midfielders. I think this team can do it because we have midfielders to play like that.”
Short pre-season Koeman assured that he was interested in seeing players even though they had only been training for a few days: “It is important that they already play because it is not a normal pre-season. We only have four weeks, not six. It is complicated. What we want to do now is physical work and in the next two weeks work on the tactical side more.”
Thiago Alcantara has reportedly agreed personal terms with Liverpool and the Bayern Munich midfielder is currently spending time on holiday in Barcelona.
The Spain international’s wife posted a photo of a relaxed looking Thiago with her and their children captioned: ‘The four of us,’ after he was given an extended break by the Bundesliga giants following the Nations League fixtures.
The Spaniard is reportedly desperate to seal a move to Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool and BILD maintain that terms have been agreed between the two parties.
The report however states that the club agreeing a transfer fee remains a stumbling block, with last season’s treble winners reticent to let him depart for anything less than £27.5million (€30m).
Thiago’s Bayern Munich colleagues were back in training on Tuesday, including both Niklas Sule and new signing Leroy Sane who had featured for Germany in the past week.
But Spain international Thiago will not be joining them this week after being pictured having a relaxing time on a beach in Barcelona.
Bayern boss Hansi Flick offered very little update on the former Barcelona playmaker’s future, adding that he remains in his plans as long as he is part of his squad.
As stated by Sportsmail, Thiago’s future could hinge on the future of Georginio Wijnaldum, who is set for talks with Klopp upon his return.
Should Barcelona give Liverpool the chance to cash in on Wijnaldum, it would pave the way for Liverpool to move for Thiago.
Jorge Mendes was in Catalonia on Wednesday to meet with Barcelona directors.
There, he discussed his new client Ansu Fati’s contract, as well as the latest on the future of Nelson Semedo, another player represented by Mendes’ Gestifute agency.
Ansu Fati is a rising star of world football and Barcelona are keen to ensure he’ll spend his prime years at the Camp Nou.
The 17-year-old’s current contract runs until 2022 and has a release clause of 170 million euros, but Barcelona can increase that clause to 400m euros when they register him with their first team and that is expected to happen in the coming days.
Barcelona also have an option to extend the player’s contract to 2024, but this two-year add-on to his current deal currently poses some legal problems because minors cannot sign contracts that are longer than three years.
Ansu Fati is still only 17 and doesn’t turn 18 until October 31, in around seven weeks’ time.
In any case, there could be talks for a brand new contract that would allow the club the peace of mind of having Ansu Fati committed well beyond 2022 and one that would be even better for the player than the current agreement.
This is where Jorge Mendes comes in, as the forward signed with the powerful agent just a few weeks ago after having previously been managed by Lionel Messi’s brother Rodrigo Messi.
Given the potential Ansu Fati has demonstrated even since the latest update to his deal in December, there’s an understanding that new terms will have to be thrashed out.
Lionel Messi turned up at Barcelona’s training complex on Thursday for a workout, even as the rest of the squad enjoyed a day of holiday.
The Argentine has been well cocooned since reporting back for training on Monday as he looks to get back to fitness, having to train individually at first due to LaLiga’s coronavirus protocols and then not completing the double sessions held later in the week.
Keen to make up for lost time, Messi has often been the first player to arrive at the training ground and this Thursday he was there alone.
Friday will see the Catalan side train again as a group as they look ahead to Saturday’s friendly with Gimnastic de Tarragona, a game in which Messi could take part.
Barcelona forward Antoine Griezmann continues to be linked with a move away but has stressed his desire to stay at the club.
Antoine Griezmann has questioned why he continues to be linked with a move away from Barcelona as he reiterated his desire to remain at the club.
The France international endured an underwhelming debut campaign with Barça after arriving from Atlético Madrid in a €120million transfer last year.
Struggled out of position He registered 15 goals in all competitions but was often played out of position and struggled to earn a regular place in the side in the closing stages of the season.
Paris Saint-Germain, Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool and former club Atlético have all been tipped to move for Griezmann, but the forward has no desire to leave Barcelona.
“Is my future is at Barça? Yes. I don’t know why people invent destinations to see if one day they will be right,” he told French outlet M6.
“I am very well there. I know I have the confidence of the club and the coach so I am well. It has been a very complicated season for all of us but now we start again.”
Contract runs until 2023-24 season Griezmann, under contract with Barça until the end of the 2023-24 campaign, scored for France on Tuesday to draw level with Zinedine Zidane as the nation’s fifth all-time top scorer.
The 29-year-old has 31 goals for the world champions, putting him behind only David Trezeguet, Olivier Giroud, Michel Platini and Thierry Henry, who struck 51 times for Les Blues.