Tag Archives: mosque

COVID-19: Abortion centres open – worship centres close – Trump piss.


US President Donald Trump has said that he has ordered governors to open worship centers despite coronavirus pandemic still raging.

Trump stated this while reacting to the move by some state governors to keep liquor stores and abortion centers open while worship centers remain closed.

“It’s not right,” Trump said. “I’m calling houses of worship essential.”

“If there’s any question, they’re going to have to call me, but they’re not going to be successful in that call,” Trump said of state leaders.

“The governors need to do the right thing and allow these very important essential places of faith to open right now, for this weekend,”

Advertisements

“If they don’t do it, I will override the governors.”

“It’s not right,” ”This move is aimed at correcting this injustice.”

“If there’s any question, they’re going to have to call me, But they are not going to be successful in that call.”

Advertisements

“In America, we need more prayer,” “Not less.” Mr Trump said before leaving the briefing room.

Speaking in a press briefing, Trump stated that he has approved guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention which will enable worship centers to reopen.

Earlier on Friday, Trump said more on the subject.

Advertisements

“We want our churches and our places of faith and worship, we want them to open,” he said. “But they’re going to be opening up very soon. We want our churches open, we want our places of faith, synagogues, we want them open, and that’s going to start happening.”

“I consider them essential, and that’s one of the things we’re saying. We’re going to make that essential,” Mr Trump said. “You know, they have places [deemed] essential that aren’t essential. And they open, and yet the churches aren’t allowed to open, and the synagogues. And again, places of faith, mosques, places of faith.”


#Newsworthy…

Advertisements
Advertisements

COVID-19: Churches, Markets, Mosques to remain shut – Ortom back FG.


Governor Samuel Ortom of Benue State has stated that markets, religious worship centers in the state have to remain closed to contain the spread of covid-19.

The governor had earlier ordered churches and mosques in the state, closed due to the pandemic, said they should reopen.

He also ordered for the reopening of markets.

However, during the weekly news briefing on activities of the Covid -19 Quick Response Team in the state on Saturday, the governor rescinded his earlier orders.

Advertisements

On why he did, he said it was due to the apprehension expressed by the Federal Government over decisions by some state governments to reopen religious activities.

The Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19 had on Thursday warned the state governors against lifting bans on worship centres and other gatherings.

It insisted that the directive of the Federal Government against the gathering of more than 20 persons was still be in effect.

Advertisements

Ortom said Benue as a state that remained a component of the Federal Government, could not go ahead with a decisions that goes against the expressed standing of the Federal Government.

According to him, the Federal Government, as the custodian of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), had all the needed information on the viral infection and how to contain its spread.

The governor pleaded with the residents of the state to bear with the state government over the withdrawal of the earlier order.

Advertisements

He said, “You need to be alive before you can worship.”

The governor added that he had consulted with relevant stakeholders including leaders of Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) and Jamatu Nasiru Islam on the matter.


#Newsworthy…

Advertisements
Advertisements

Bandits kill 8 Muslims in Afghanistan Mosque attack.


Gunmen opened fire in a mosque in central Afghanistan on Tuesday evening, killing eight worshippers, who are breaking their Ramadan fast, wounding five others, officials said.

“Unknown gunmen fired on people praying inside a mosque during iftar (referring to the meal eaten to break daytime fasting) time,’’ said Wahida Shahkar, spokeswoman for the Governor of Parwan province, during the Islamic holy month.

The Ministry of Interior confirmed the attack in Parwan’s provincial capital Charekar, blaming it on the insurgent Taliban.

Advertisements

The Taliban denied responsibility and said Afghan security forces were to blame.

The United Nations has warned of an alarming uptick in violence against civilians in Afghanistan.

A shocking attack on a Kabul maternity ward last week killed 24 people, including newborn babies.

Advertisements

Violence increased around the country even after a Feb. 29 U.S.-Taliban pact on the withdrawal of U.S.-led foreign forces in exchange for Taliban security guarantees.

Afghan security forces, on Tuesday, clashed with Taliban fighters around the city of Kunduz, a strategically important centre that has been one of the Taliban’s main targets and which the group has briefly captured twice in recent years.

Security forces largely repelled the Taliban offensive with the help of air support.

Advertisements

Assadullah Khalid, acting Minister of Defence, said during a visit to the city that more than 50 insurgents and eight security force members had been killed.

The Taliban have rejected repeated calls for a ceasefire by the Afghan government.

They deny any involvement in the maternity ward attack and the U.S. believes the Islamic State was responsible.

Advertisements

The U.S. has sent special envoy, Zalmay Khalilzad, to Doha and Kabul to press the Afghan government and the Taliban to start stalled peace talks.

Khalilzad has said he will push for a reduction in violence during the trip.


#Newsworthy…

Advertisements
Advertisements

Breaking: MURIC state position on reopening of mosques. [Nigeria]


An Islamic human rights organization, the Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC) on Monday warned against the reopening of mosques amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

This is coming against the backdrop of the reopening of mosques on the orders of Borno, Gombe, and Zamfara States governments.

The federal government had placed a ban on places of worships in Nigeria over a month ago in a bid to curb the spread of coronavirus in the country.

However, MURIC in a statement issued by its Director, Professor Ishaq Akintola, and gathered by NobleReporters said: “There are reports that some state governments have given the green light for the opening of mosques. This may not be wise enough. We must be on the side of caution regarding this dangerous virus whose cure has not been found. Muslims should not rush to their graves. We suggest that mosques should remain closed until the Federal Government (FG) declares the country safe from the pandemic.

“We know that lockdown hurts. But so does it hurt everywhere else. We urge Muslims to exercise patience. Those who die can never be seen again. Neither can they be part of a safer and better Nigerian society when the lockdown is finally lifted. We must join hands with the rest of humanity to defeat COVID-19. No single community, group or country can fight the battle alone.

Advertisements

“Reopening mosques at this time can be interpreted as withdrawing from the battlefield and leaving the rest of the country to face the fight alone. It may also be interpreted as disobedience to FG’s restriction on crowding.

“MURIC reminds the governments and people of Borno, Gombe and Zamfara states whose population is predominantly Muslim of Allah-given fundamental right to life. This right should not be violated through any hasty yet wrongful policy decision.

“The pattern of congregating in mosques may even be more prone to infections than some other places. Unlike others who assemble for worship once in a week or once in a year, Muslims congregate five times daily for the five daily prayers, once weekly for jumu’ah prayer and twice annually for the festivals. It is noteworthy that the last three draw mammoth crowds.

Advertisements

“Though kaleidoscopic and symptomatic of our unity and strength, the manner of our worship in congregation where we stand shoulder to shoulder and feet to feet in rows that allow no gap whatsoever also renders Muslim worshippers most prone to the spread of infectious diseases particularly during a pandemic like this. Our prostration where all heads touch the ground simultaneously and rise together gives cause for concern about the likelihood of one worshipper breathing almost directly into another’s nostrils. A pragmatic and realistic approach is therefore necessary on the issue of reopening of mosques. It is bad enough that there is fire on the mountain. But it may be worse if we use our hands to draw the fire to our rooftops.

“It is therefore our considered opinion that the authorities in the three states (Borno, Gombe and Zamfara) should reconsider their decisions particularly before the Id al-fitr festival prayer which is fast approaching. We remind the three states that the Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA) had advised Muslims against congregations until further notice. We therefore suggest that the leadership of the Nigerian Muslim community, namely, the Sultan of Sokoto and President-General of the NSCIA should be consulted before the decision to reopen mosques can be implemented.”


#Newsworthy…

Advertisements
Advertisements

[Nigeria] Not all levels will resume – Presidency reveal when Schools, Worship centres will resume.

Advertisements

Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina while speaking on This Morning programme on TVC News, disclosed that the person who leaked President Muhammadu Buhari’s draft speech hours before he delivered his address to the nation on Monday night, has been traced.

According to Adesina, the version released was full of errors and was already circulating on social media before the actual broadcast to the nation.

Asked to clear the confusion on the lockdown where some newspapers carried out different date, the Presidential Spokesman said: “There is just one authentic copy of the broadcast which is the one released from the media office. But then, I recognise that a couple of hours before the broadcast itself, a copy of the purported speech had been circulating particularly on WhatsApp. If you compare the two, yes there are some similarities but then there are also wide differences.

“You have just mentioned the effective day particularly of the gradual easing of the lockdown. What happened was that somebody got hold of the initial draft of the broadcast and played hanky panky with it by releasing it through the social media. If you know the processes that a broadcast goes through before it gets recorded – the script will originate from the relevant government agency, department, parastatal of ministry, whoever heads that agency, ministry or parastatal sign up on it and then they sent it to the presidential office.

“When it gets to the presidential office, it gets through a number of hands again, because the President’s thoughts must be infused and injected into that draft. There are some things that may be in it that the President may completely not agree with. “Finally, it comes to the media office, and I sign on it which I also did yesterday before the broadcast was recorded – I signed on the final copy before the broadcast was recorded.

Advertisements

“So some hours before the recording was played back, I saw something circulating on social media, I knew that that was not the copy that I signed off on. Then we began to investigate. It has been found out that the original script from inception was what somebody laid hands-on and released to the social media.”

Speaking on some mainstream media reporting from the leaked speech, Adesina said: “Well, mainstream media knows how we release our statements – whatever documents that we are releasing. They should know how to authenticate it. It comes from the media office. So if any mainstream media is now taking its information from the social media, that mainstream media is to be blamed because we duly released the authentic copy of that broadcast by 8:06 PM. So the mainstream media should not have depended on a leaked copy which turns out to have many discrepancies compared with the original and final copy. “

On the reopening of worship centres and schools and whether it is a bit hasty considering the lives of the children, the Presidential spokesman said, “what Mr. President said yesterday was that, from Monday, May 4, there will be a gradual opening up and what that means is that the Presidential Taskforce on COVID-19 will give a guideline on what can be done and what can’t be done under that gradual easing up.

Advertisements

“Remember that the President stressed yesterday that some other things will continue like social distancing, not congregating for religious events – it’s on the broadcast yesterday. But the Presidential Taskforce will continue to advise on how we can open up and return to normal life gradually.”

Asked if the same rule applied to schools and school children, Adesina said, “yes but if you look at what the Army did about a week ago, it opened up its schools but not at every level. Those who are in senior secondary schools preparing for WAEC are supposed to return to school to write their exams and he said gradually it will go down to different grades. I don’t want to preempt what the guidelines of the Presidential Taskforce will be like but definitely, there will be a guideline on how schools can begin to reopen. It may not be the whole school because if a school has a population of one thousand it may have an effect. But those who are going to write WAEC are the ones to resume.”


#Newsworthy…

Advertisements
Advertisements

Shocker: New born baby abandoned close to a mosque in Minna ..


A new born baby girl has been dumped by an unidentified woman close to a culvert along Kuta Road opposite Central Mosque in Minna, the Niger State capital.


NobleReporters learnt that the baby was brought before the Niger State Child Right’s Protection Agency in Minna on Tuesday by a Good Samaritan, Hajiya Fatima Adamu.

According to the woman, the baby was wrapped in a cloth (wrapper) and dumped by the road side close to a culvert and was discovered by passers-by.


“I was called to the scene where the baby was dumped by my neighbours. When I got to the scene, I saw people gathered where the baby was dumped and when I inquired, I was told that an unknown woman dropped from a motorcycle, dumped the baby and left with same motorcycle.

“I noticed everybody was afraid to touch the baby, because nobody except the little children that were playing outside the house said they saw a woman dropped from a bike and dropped something that was moving.

“It was the children that immediately informed their parents but they could not come out after the bike had zoomed off with the woman. They quickly alerted their neighbours and everyone rushed to the scene,” she explained.

She said, with the assistance of a vigilante member that lived in the area, she picked up the baby and went to report the matter to the Central Police Station, Minna.


#Newsworthy…

Ghen Ghen!! 2 men fights in mosque after flirting with each other’s wives


A Twitter user has narrated a story that alleged happened in Ijebu-Igbo, Ogun state, between two married men who were cheating with each other’s wives.

According to the Twitter user, one of the men found out a married man was having an affair with his wife. Rather than confront his wife and her married lover, he decided to start an affair with the man’s wife.

After he achieved his aim, he went to the Mosque on a day when his rival was also there, took the mic and announced to the man and the entire Mosque that he was also sleeping with the man’s wife. This led to a fight, @OlaseniOladejo claimed.

Read his tweets below.

Twitter stories: Two men cheating with each other

Twitter stories: Two men cheating with each other


#Newsworthy…

Nigerians react to Jigawa govt., Says, Build 95 schools, not mosque.

…as report claims creation of 95 mosques in process

Nigerians have vehemently opposed the move by the Jigawa state government to build 95 mosques in the state.

The Jigawa state government announced it will open a bidding process for the construction of 95 mosques across the state.

Nigerians took to Twitter to react to this revelation. They pointed out that Jigawa state has over 800,000 out-of-school children, yet, rather than build schools, the government is making plans to build mosques.

Some asked how the new mosques will empower the people or create employment. Some suggested that factories or schools should be built instead. And some said it wouldn’t be right even if it’s 95 new churches that are being built because that shouldn’t be our priority.

Read a few tweets below.

#Newsworthy…

Jigawa government set to build 95 mosques.

The Jigawa State Government has announced its plan to build 90 Friday congregational and five daily prayer mosques.

Spokesperson of the office of the Secretary to the State Government, Alhaji Isma’il Ibrahim confirmed the development and further disclosed that over 200 contractors are bidding for the project which will take place across the 30 constituencies in the state.

He also disclosed that Ghali Mu’azu who is the representative of the state’s Due Process and Project Monitoring Bureau, said the process of selecting the contractors would be transparent, fair and just.

#Newsworthy…

New marriage certificate fees law set against churches – PFN

… traditional and Islamic wedding exempted from paying fees

The Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria (PFN) has alleged that churches are being targeted by the Federal Government following the new marriage certificate law introduced by the Ministry of Interior.

PFN’s National President of the fellowship, Rev.(Dr.) Felix Omobude who lashed out at the Ministry of Interior over the imposition of a compulsory N30,000 charge licence for Christian worship centres for the conduct of statutory marriages in churches and N21,000 for each marriage certificate, alleged that it is an attempt to commercialize Christian marriages in the country.

Omobude called on the Federal Government to shelve the unpopular policy which he said is exploitative and targeted against Christian marriages in the country. He added that they will use every legal means to stop the new marriage certificate law.

He said;

“This is very unfair and to the best of our understanding, the new law is targeted against the Church because the Traditional and Islamic weddings are exempted from paying the new marriage certificate fees.

“PFN is at a loss as to why Church Marriages should be in the exclusive list of the nation’s constitution. The PFN, therefore calls on the Federal Government to immediately shelve the unpopular policy targeted against Christian marriages in the country.

“If the Ministry of Interior is in dire need of funds, it should look elsewhere and resist the temptation of placing extra financial burden on the Christians and their churches.”

#Newsworthy…